You have been referred to this FAQ because you are a Game Maker Newbie. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it just means that you are inexperienced in using Game Maker. This FAQ's purpose is to help give you a good start in using Game Maker and keep you from falling into pitfalls that most noobs fall into.
Table of Contents
I just downloaded Game Maker, what should I do first?
Once you've done that, you will be able to better understand more advanced tutorials.
I have a question, where do I get help?
There are several steps to getting help in a quick and efficient way :
- Check the manual. You should perform a search on the keywords you are looking for. Read what you find thoroughly. This critical first step is important. You will find most of your questions answered in the manual. If you can't find what you are looking for, or cannot understand what you read (it happens) the proceed to the next step.
- Check documentation projects. There are two major Game Maker documentation projects on the internet : Game Design Novice and the Game Maker Knowledge Base If you can't find what you are looking for here or there, then proceed to the next step.
- Search the main forums. They are the Game Maker Community, the Game Maker Games Forum, The Unofficial Game Maker Community and the Game Design Novice forum. If you still can't find your answer then post on one of the above forums.
Why is no one answering me on a forum?
The reasons for this are many:
- You did not post enough information about your problem. Sometimes people will ask for more information if needed, sometimes not. Try to be specific about your problem and include code whenever possible. Do not ask for an introduction to a subject. If you do, you shouldn't be upset if someone points you to the Game Maker help file for an introduction on the subject you asked about. Do not expect someone to spoon-feed knowledge to you.
- The problem is sufficiently complex that a person needs to look at your gm6 file to find out what is wrong. Sometimes (very rarely, but it happens) you will not be able to get help unless you make your gm6 file available to the people trying to help you.
- You claimed that your issue was "urgent" and/or begged for help. On every forum, most people are working on their own projects. Your project is no more important that theirs. Remember that because of this, this behavior is considered very rude.
How can I use Google to search a forum?
Searching using Google is better for forums because it will not contribute to the forum's server load. To search using Google, go to Google, or use a toolbar that uses Google, and type in "Super Awesome Example site:forums.gamemaker.nl", as an example. The content before site: is your search term, and after site: is the site to search.
Will you make my game for me?
Never ask this question. No one will make your game for you, nor will anyone make a large chunk of a game for you. You should ask questions about a specific problem you are having.
How do I make a MMORPG?
Many noobs have asked this question and they have all received the same answer. No one is capable of making an MMORPG as their first game. Try making an arcade game first, then move up to an RPG, then try making an MMORPG.
What does RTFM mean?
It means Read the Freaking Manual. You usually get this response when the answer is clearly answered in the manual, which you are expected to check first before posting for help on a forum.