I've been seeing a trend in the site stats since day one and promised myself I'd get around to it, but never have. Now I've seen it again and I'm asking for suggestion / help. Here's the trend :
- Little Shawn wants to make a game.
- Little Shawn's parents are active in his life, care about him, and want to be involved and help out where possible. (unlike my parents.)
- The parents then look online for what a parent needs to know to help and in general and find… diddly squat.
I say it's time to write (ready for this) The Parent's Guide to Game Design!
Let's help these people out and maybe, just maybe, their kid will grow up to make something better than a Tony Hawk game.
The first thing to do is get in the mindset of the parent. I have no children (that I claim anyway j/k), but, I imagine the first concern would be
- What does little shawn learn from this?
The second concern is
- How much is this going to cost me?
and the third
- How can I be the cool parent?
Comments, suggestions, ideas, slaps? —hartnell